Upper Flume in Ausable Chasm, before 1911
Suggested Teaching Instructions
“It is a most admirable sight, appearing on each side like a regular built wall, somewhat ruined, and one would think that this prodigious cliff was occasioned by an earthquake, their height on each side is from 40 to 100 feet in the different places; we saw about a half a mile of it, and by its appearance where we stopped it may continue very many miles further.”
By the 1800s, Ausable River was used for powering paper mills and grist mills. Additionally, it was used to move logs that had been cut for lumber by floating them down the river to Lake Champlain, where they could be placed on ships and taken to any location.