Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Monroe Palace, 1915
To Use This Document
With Your Students
Date
1915
Description
A view of the Monroe Palace in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The palace is decorated with ornate columns and domes with antennae on the top. Two statues of lions guard the entrance. Monroe Palace was first built to represent Brazil in the 1904 Louisiana Purchase International Exhibition (the Saint Louis World’s Fair), and a permanent replica was built in Rio de Janeiro in 1906. Originally known as the St. Louis Pavilion, it was renamed after former U.S. president James Monroe during the Pan American Conference in 1906. First used as a ballroom, the Monroe Palace was adapted to be first the Chamber of Deputies between 1914 and 1922, then as the Senate. When Brazil moved the capital to Brasilia in 1960, the building was used for minor functions before finally being demolished in 1976, (1915).
Type
Photograph
Region
Global
Topic
Global History and Geography
Repository
Identifier
NYSA_A3045-78_B4109
Source
New York State Archives. New York (State). Education Dept. Division of Visual Instruction. Instructional lantern slides, ca. 1856-1939. A3045-78, B4109.
Rights
This image is provided for education and research purposes. Rights may be reserved. Responsibility for securing permissions to distribute, publish, reproduce or other use rest with the user. For additional information see our Copyright and Use Statement

